Zen Creations Around the Web

Friday, May 23, 2008

Making my own banner, part 1

I've looked over all my options for a banner for my craft show set-up, and none of them seemed to be what I wanted. Too costly, too little choices for design, etc. So, I decided that I should just make my own, and I couldn't be happier with the results so far.

Here's what I did:

1. I made a trip to our local Joanne's Fabric for muslin and paint. Muslin costs only $1.99 a yard, easy to cut and paint on. I bought 2 yards of it, plenty to make a couple of different sized banners, but right now I'm focusing on just one. Next, I blew up my postcard and taped the pages together.


2. I taped up the blown up copy of the postcard and traced it on white paper with a black sharpie marker. The black sharpie can be seen through the muslin and makes it much easier to transfer the design onto the muslin.


3. Next I postioned the black and white copy under the muslin and traced the design onto the muslin.


4. I don't own a sewing maching, so I iron on stips of fusing web to create neat and clean edges.


5. Now I am ready to paint!

2 comments:

Elizabeth Porter said...

wow, what a terrific tutorial! Have you considered submitting the pics to the Storque for an article?

The finished product looks fantastic too.

ZenCreations said...

Thanks! I never thought of doing that. Hmmmm.... maybe I should!